Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Strangers On A Pier

Yesterday, via AOL Instant Messenger, a cousin of mine by the name of Debra suggested I post my blogs up on Blogger (a.k.a. blogspot) for monetary reasons. She had mentioned Blogger before (no pesos were involved at the time) and my reply in the e-mail was the following:

"I appreciate the compliment regarding (to what I assume are) my most recent blog entries. As for the prospect of blogspot, what is that exactly? What I write is mostly written as a throwaway and as such, MySpace does suffice. If anything, it exists to fill up the void on the upper right section of my MySpace page. Hah. =P

But blogspot, huh? Perhaps."

That's how it is, really. The reply was to a comment Debra made about the MySpace blogging community being inactive and Blogger being the better venue. Her exact words?

"secure it in blogspot, myspace is dead"

Reading that line, I laugh now as I laughed then. "MySpace is dead." Bang! That's just too direct to not be funny.

This second time around Debra mentions Blogger and now an income of cents is a possibility. I had doubts about the penny signs and immediately told her about having to be a premium member pulling in tons of traffic to benefit financially. The premium membership was not an issue but she did confirm the traffic fulfillment. Enter predicament.

There is no [insert expletive] way what I write could pull in enough traffic for the pocket change to start rolling in.

"The rush hour is in another part of the city, peasant, and you are far, far from it!" says Billy Blogger, the Blogging Bishop of Blogtopia.

And where am I? At the park, by the lake, feeding popcorn to the ducks writing massive amounts of near-interest and humour that only I find funny. Mind you, I do check the number of views that this little sucker gets and I am appreciative for the few apparent but I figure every single one is a family relation. I'm not sure if that counts. Even then, at this point in time the numbers are hardly enough to give me my 3 cents a day.

But beyond the field and over the hill . . .

the words come back to me . . .

hush and pervasive . . .

"MySpace is dead."

So where do we go from here?



[cue creepy music]

"You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension. A dimension of sound... a dimension of sight... a dimension of mind. You are moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into... The Twilight Zone."

Of blogging!

The words you've read, are reading, and will read now reside on two different planes of existence. At one end sits MySpace. At the other, Blogger. Don't worry, there isn't a black hole to suck you into the other side (although that would be tremendously awesome). As a blog, being at two places at once must be tiring. Luckily enough I've got a twin and we can easily pull a Borden on our online audience.

Yes, I have gone the route of Blogger but fear not, for I am not abandoning my online home, MySpace. I figure I'll post on MySpace and "copy & paste" everything onto Blogger. It can't hurt. The wave of coins won't roll in but that doesn't matter; Blogger is just another place to be. If by (natural disaster e.g., earthquake) should I be lucky enough to gain some sort of "fan base" (that isn't family, cheater) then splendid! If not, then at least leonardlacking.blogspot.com is now taken and it's mine!

[in booming godlike voice]

"ALL MINE!! MUAHAHAHAHA!"

[cough cough]

But I digress . . .

thanks goes to Debra for this blog's existence on Blogger. Whatever may come of it, you can blame her. If she's lucky, the humble words I write might catch on and I'll have to throw a few dimes down her way. We can then toss them, one by one, into a nice fountain somewhere downtown and wish for giant Vegas jackpots.



[Location: a Monterey pier]

A man with a fedora sees a friend.

"Hello MySpace. It's nice to see you again."

Across from him stands a new face. Hesitantly, he approaches the stranger.

"Hello Blogger. I'm Leonard Lacking."

No comments:

Post a Comment